Wednesday 5 July 2017

Nothing New Under the Sun

In transferring some data from one device to another I came across photos of a family trip to Hampton Court Palace taken last year. If you get the chance to visit then do! Now this is the point where most blogs would fill you with images and facts to regale the wonder to be found in one of the nations favourite Royal Palaces. But this isn't most blogs.


I had been there before to take part in the first "Kirstie Allsops Hand Made Fair". This trip was quite different though, not only did I not have my hand made goodies in tow, I was accompanied by my mum, brother and future sister-in-law.

We roamed around, iPhone out taking photos and breathing in all the history, then whilst wandering around the art galleries we came across a collection of Canaletto Paintings. My Mum was awestruck. All roaming came to a halt as she stood and breathed in every painting in full detail.


Anyway, apart from having to chivvy my Mum along it was an excellent trip, I am obviously biased loving history, especially Tudor and Georgian period but none the less it was great.
However my favourite photo that I took is this one.
Etched into the stone windowsill of the Tudor Gallery, that Catherine Howard apparently ran screaming down when told she was to be executed, was this fine example of old graffiti.
I LOVE THIS. Most of all because its a shows there's nothing new under the sun. At some point some young soul who was bored scratched into the stone and someone else decided to copy and so it went on. This to me is very comforting, history was being made there, decisions that had ramifications that changed the path of the world, but someone still tried to etch their mark on the stone. The world changed, but people still wondered what to eat, who they liked and what mark to etch in the stone. Nothing new under the sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment